1. Identify two logos of your own choice associated with filmmaking and/or film distribution. Based on Saussure, undertake a semiotic analysis and discuss how the logos work.
2. We can think of syntagmatic and paradigmatic structure as similar to grammar and vocabulary. Syntagmatic is a form of syntax. In writing, the basic syntax is noun-verb-object. It’s linear and it goes through time. We can remember this when we see unexpected syntax, such as Yoda saying, “The greatest teacher, failure is.” It’s the same for a movie such as, Memento, in which the figuring out the syntagmatic structure is part of the interpretive challenge (Barthes’ jouissance). Alternately, I like to think of paradigmatic structure as moments frozen in time, when we can make syntagmatic choices. For Yoda, we can substitute at different points and get very different meanings. Maybe he’s not Zen: “The worst teacher, failure is.” Or maybe he echoes is original sentiment, just differently: “The greatest teacher, Vader is.” For this prompt, make the following paradigmatic choices for Once Upon A Time in the West as a contemporary film:
Which actors are hired?
Which character is played by whom?
Where is the film shot?
3. Consider the way that Black Panther and Harry Potter have been marketed. Relate your answers to Peirce’s three categories.
4. Identify films that fall into the categories of plaisir and jouissance. Discuss which kind of filmmaking you prefer and why.
5. Using Once Upon a Time in the West, undertake textual analysis of the opening scene at the railway station. What do the formal semiotics in this sequence signify?
6. Two key visual motifs that recur throughout the film are water and the railway. What do you think they signify and why are they important to the narrative?
Plagiarism Free Papers
All our papers are original and written from scratch. We will email you a plagiarism report alongside your completed paper once done.
All papers are submitted ahead of time. We do this to allow you time to point out any area you would need revision on, and help you for free.
A title page preceeds all your paper content. Here, you put all your personal information and this we give out for free.
Without a reference/bibliography page, any academic paper is incomplete and doesnt qualify for grading. We also offer this for free.
Originality & Security
At Homeworkpaper.net, we take confidentiality seriously and all your personal information is stored safely and do not share it with third parties for any reasons whatsoever. Our work is original and we send plagiarism reports alongside every paper.
24/7 Customer Support
Our agents are online 24/7. Feel free to contact us through email or talk to our live agents.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
We work around the clock to see best customer experience.
Our prices are pocket friendly and you can do partial payments. When that is not enough, we have a free enquiry service.
Admission help & Client-Writer Contact
When you need to elaborate something further to your writer, we provide that button.
We take deadlines seriously and our papers are submitted ahead of time. We are happy to assist you in case of any adjustments needed.
Your feedback, good or bad is of great concern to us and we take it very seriously. We are, therefore, constantly adjusting our policies to ensure best customer/writer experience.