CHEM 1405 – Signature Assignment
Objective: The purpose of this assignment is to help chemistry students use their scientific understanding and research to understand public issues that relate to chemistry.
The idea that prolonged exposure to direct sunlight is harmful represents one of the main reasons why the use of sunblock/sunscreen has been widely promoted. In particular, ultraviolet (UV) rays are known to cause damage to the skin upon direct contact which can lead to various adverse effects such as: premature aging, sunspots, wrinkles, formation of benign and malignant melanomas, cancer, and possibly death. However, it is also known that direct sunlight (and more importantly, its contact with skin that has not been treated with any sunblock/sunscreen) is required for the synthesis of Vitamin D within the human body; which means that to some extent, there is an essential need to actually be exposed to direct sunlight each day.
As this issue continues to be debated more and more, the question that mostly remains is whether or not UV rays from the sunlight are ultimately more beneficial or harmful to human beings throughout their lifespan.
To address this issue, you will be required to do the following:
1. Introduce, present, and discuss both perspectives critically based on valid research that exists. Choose a position on where you stand on this particular issue and provide supporting evidence of your claim by citing academic sources.
2. Incorporate at least 1-2 graphical illustrations that highlight quantitative metrics (i.e. time, wavelengths, energy, frequency) associated with the dangers of UV rays making contact with human skin and at least 1-2 graphical illustrations that correlate with how UV rays are associated with synthesizing Vitamin D in the skin. You MUST also discuss your graphs thoughtfully in terms of the variables assessed/presented, and also provide at least 2 math equations and 2 calculations based on the scientific data presented on this issue. (Note: The equations and calculations can either be based on the graphs you include or used to address, introduce, or prove a particular point.)
3. Image – Select or draw an image that is properly referenced in your paper to show that you are able to relate your image to your content. The selected image must help the reader understand the topic better.
4. Graph – You may plot a graph from a data table from your cited source or use a graph already drawn to show that you are able to interpret the data table or graph. From the graph, what generalization can be made?
5. Mathematical Equations/ Calculations- Use relevant mathematical formulas used in chemistry to calculate an unknown quantity in your paper such as molarity, charge, energy, calories, frequency, mass, slope, y-intercept etc. In doing so you will demonstrate an ability to reason quantitatively. Be sure to thoroughly discuss both sides of the issue and present your position. Presenting both sides of the issue before you state your position demonstrates that you have critically analyzed the data and made a well-informed decision.
6.Write your paper third person even as you write your position. Use proper grammar and punctuation.
7. Include in-text citations and cite sources on the last page. The APA 6th edition guide has been provided below with examples to help you properly format your paper.
8.Submit your paper on eCampus by due date.
APA 6th Edition
Your essay should be a minimum of 1000 words typed and double-spaced on standard-sized paper (8.5″ x 11″), with 1″ margins on all sides (top, bottom left and right margins)
APA recommends Times New Roman font size 12 pt.
Your essay should include four major sections: Title Page, Main Body, conclusion, and References.
Title of the paper, (12 words or less, use upper and lower case letter)
Include a page header (also known as the “running head”) at the top of every page and insert page numbers flush top right. Type “SHORT VERSION OF YOUR TITLE” in the header flush left using all capital letters. The running head is a shortened version of your paper’s title and cannot exceed 50 characters including spacing and punctuation.
The words Running Head should only appear on the title page not the other pages, other pages should only have SHORT VERSION OF TITLE.
the author’s name, (your name)
and the institutional affiliation. (Cedar Valley College)
Title Page should look like the example shown below:
Header of the body page should have SHORT VERSION OF TITLE (Top left corner)
Include the Title of your paper in the center of your page as shown below.
Title to great paper (Title is Centered)
Start paragraph here…introduce problem information great information due to extensive research great information due to extensive research great information due to extensive research great due to extensive research great information due to extensive research great information due to extensive research great information due to extensive research great information due to extensive research
Start paragraph here…discussing the chemistry concepts and background information involved in the great topic that was selected. Structure of molecules, function etc… great information due to extensive research great information due extensive research great information due to extensive research great information due to extensive research
Start paragraph here to analyze and discuses evidence supporting your claim such as no diet lifestyle … great information due to extensive research great information due to extensive research great information due to extensive research great to extensive research great information due to extensive research great information due to extensive research great information due to extensive research.
Final paragraph summarizes problem, findings, solutions and where you stand on the issue after examining data..… great information due to extensive research great information due to extensive research great information due to extensive research great information due to extensive research great information due to extensive research great information due to extensive research great information due to extensive research great information due to extensive research.
Please use in-text citations and include works cited page.
References: How to Cite in APA example:
Contributors’ names (Last edited date). Title of resource. Retrieved from http://Web address for OWL resource
Paiz, J., Angeli, E., Wagner, J., Lawrick, E., Moore, K., Anderson, M.,…Keck, R. (2010, May 5). General format. Retrieved from http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/
APA Style 6th Edition YouTube link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VTaKLeAHds
Plagiarism Free Papers
All our papers are original and written from scratch. We will email you a plagiarism report alongside your completed paper once done.
All papers are submitted ahead of time. We do this to allow you time to point out any area you would need revision on, and help you for free.
A title page preceeds all your paper content. Here, you put all your personal information and this we give out for free.
Without a reference/bibliography page, any academic paper is incomplete and doesnt qualify for grading. We also offer this for free.
Originality & Security
At Homeworkpaper.net, we take confidentiality seriously and all your personal information is stored safely and do not share it with third parties for any reasons whatsoever. Our work is original and we send plagiarism reports alongside every paper.
24/7 Customer Support
Our agents are online 24/7. Feel free to contact us through email or talk to our live agents.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
We work around the clock to see best customer experience.
Our prices are pocket friendly and you can do partial payments. When that is not enough, we have a free enquiry service.
Admission help & Client-Writer Contact
When you need to elaborate something further to your writer, we provide that button.
We take deadlines seriously and our papers are submitted ahead of time. We are happy to assist you in case of any adjustments needed.
Your feedback, good or bad is of great concern to us and we take it very seriously. We are, therefore, constantly adjusting our policies to ensure best customer/writer experience.